Tuesday, August 27, 2024

My grandfathers, grandmothers

From my mother side, Manolis born in Crete, singing till late age on Church. Eleni from Prusa, sweet voice. From my father side, George from Smyrni, played a bit a stringed instrument, had to move to Athens and then went to US for many years then came back to Athens. Maritsa from Prusa, played a bit the violin. My great grand father from my mother side, Menelaos, gifted me a real piano. He enjoyed listening as well as my other grandfathers when i was a kid my first single ended transistor amplifier with tiny output transformer connected to some Sony low impedance headphones (attention protect yur hearng, never play loud on headphones, even on speakers). It was connected to an AM broad bandwidth radio. Both were from the games PolyKyclomatic 501B and 1002 which allowed making electronic constructions connecting components with small springs. Each node of the circuit was a spring. When the miracle amplifier (as it was descibed on the manual) was built all i could hear was a click on the little speaker when connecting the 9 volt battery. i was so sad, i thought it did not work. i did not know that i should connect a music signal to amplify it. i miss them all as well as my godmother Soso who gave me her piano, Godfather George who gave me his Grundig single ended stereo radiogram, Godmother Elsa who tried to teach me some chemistry. It feels like they all still help me from above. My parents kindlty immedeatly bought for me these electronic construction games when they were seen at a 3rd or 4th class primary school party. The older brother or cousin of my schoolmate George or Dimitris were playing and experimenting when i opened a bedroom door by chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment