Wednesday, June 14, 2017

What did president Kennedy say to producer Phil Ramone


Extract from Phil Ramone's book on chapter 17. On page 205 a White House evening on Broadway favorites featuring music and dance is described.




...The show began, and the first three numbers were well received. During the de Mille piece, however, the room was suddenly plunged into darkness.


The tape machine stopped, and the dancers froze in position.


The Secret Service swept into action.


Before long the White House electrician discovered that the fuses in White House were only fifteen amps, which wasn't adequate for the demands of our equipment.


The poor electrician got the fuse replaced, and the tape picked up where it left off. The dancers unfroze and finished the number to a rousing ovation.


I felt my White House career was over before it got started. I felt as though I had embarrassed both the president and myself. It was one of the few times in my life I felt mortified.


Mingling in the reception hall afterwards, I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard the reassuring voice of the president. He'd seen how distraught I was. "This is not something you could have controlled. It was still a sensational evening."


I was stunned.


I was a visitor in the president's house, and here he was trying to console me. "Think about how many people will talk about this, and never forget being in the White House when the lights went out." Kennedy said. "It's still a damned shame." I replied. "We have to do something about the electrical system in the East Room."


A week later I received a lovely thank you letter from President Kennedy. Soon after, the White House social secretary called and asked if I'd be available to do the next state dinner...




Another book that describes moments of great men is the 2nd reference.


References:


Making Records, The Scenes Behind the Music - Phil Ramone - First Edition


How to Make Friends and Influence your Environment - Dale Cargenie - free PDF




No comments:

Post a Comment